0191 427 2160

Special Educational Needs

The SEND Information report and policy on SEND at Westoe Crown Primary (review Summer 2023)

We are a fully inclusive school and we aim to support all pupils to achieve their potential personally, socially, emotionally and academically in all areas of the curriculum (regardless of their gender, ethnicity, social background, religion, sexual identity, physical ability or educational needs). This document is intended to give you information regarding the ways in which we ensure we support all of our pupils, including those with SEN, in order that they can realise their potential. It may not list every skill, resource and technique we use in order to achieve this as these are continually developed and used to modify our provision to meet the changing requirements for individual pupils.

Children are identified as having SEN when their progress has slowed or stopped and the interventions; resources etc, put in place do not enable improvement. Once this occurs, we use Individual Education Plans or Intervention Profiles which help support their development and speed up progress. Children with SEN at Westoe Crown Primary School make good progress and achieve in line or above other schools nationally.


Westoe Crown is an extremely large primary school with over 20 very busy classrooms. There is limited space to undertake additional support, so most intervention support is undertaken within the classroom environment, although there may be occasions where individual and small group work is delivered in a small group room environment.


First point of contact and Support Network

The first person to identify that a child has special educational needs may be:

Yourself, as parent or carer, the class teacher, a health visitor or another medical professional.

If it seems that your child may have special educational needs, your child’s class teacher or the Special Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCO) will talk to your child, watch your child at work, and look at the work your child produces, so that we can assess:

*  What your child is good at and what they need help with,

*  What your child would benefit from learning,

*  How best to help your child learn.

The level of support received may change throughout their time at school. School staff will speak to you if they think this should happen and will ask you for your opinion about this.  Assessment and observation will continue, so that the effectiveness of the programme can be monitored.

Westoe Crown have a number of experienced teaching and support staff. There are a team of Learning Support Assistants that are deployed to support children with SEND needs across school (Nursery to Year 6)

Please click here to read our SEND policy:

Westoe Crown SEND Policy

Who do I need to contact regarding Special Educational Needs and Disabilities?

Please contact our SENDCo/Assistant Head for Wellbeing Mrs A.Allenby telephoning the school on 0191 4272160 or emailing sendco@westoecrownprimary.co.uk

  • The SENDCo’s responsibilities are:
  • To develop and review the SEND policy annually
  • To co-ordinate support for children with SEND across school
  • To ensure that parents/carers are involved in supporting their child, being  made aware about additional support their child is receiving and reviewing how the child is progressing
  • Liasing with outside agencies and professionals who may come into school to support children
  • Updating the SEND register and monitoring the progress of children with SEND.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff to help them provide the best support to children with SEND

The Headteacher is responsible for daily management of all aspects of school life (including the support for children with SEND). The Headteacher will give responsibility to the SENDCo and class teachers and will ensure the Governing Body are kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

The SEND Governor is responsible for ensuring that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND and should meet termly with the SENDCo to discuss provision and further development.

What kinds of special educational needs (SEN) are provided for?

We aim to meet the needs of all children, including those identified in the new SEN Code of Practice in all areas of communication and interaction, cognition and learning, social, mental and emotional health and sensory and/or physical needs. We do sometimes need to involve specialist services for advice or equipment to help support meeting specific identified needs of individual children.


How does school identify children and young people with SEN and how are their needs assessed?

Please see our SEN policy which is reviewed annually. This details how the children are identified as having SEND. Teacher’s continually assess needs of all children, including those with SEND. If a child makes limited progress or no progress despite intervention support or a change in behaviours are observed and there are concerns, a parent/carer will be contacted by the class teacher and/or the SENDCo  to discuss needs. Assessments from other professionals are taken into account and a graduated approach is used of assess, plan, do and review. There may be a requirement for an Educational Psychologist/specialist teacher to complete assessments to identify why a child may not be making progress despite intervention support.


What are the arrangements for assessing and reviewing children with SEN?

Teachers and support staff assess needs continually. They observe in class in groups, they look at work in books and have discussions with parents and staff. School uses an assessment online tracking tool (SONAR) to track the progression of pupils against national expectations.

Some children may require access arrangements for Year 2 and Year 6 tests. This may involve application for additional time/a scribe during the SAT tests. These access arrangements are considered by the teacher, SENDCo and Head teacher.

Parents/carers of children that have SEN needs will meet with their class teacher and be invited to meet with the SENDCo once a term to review targets and progress that has been identified. New targets will be discussed and agreed by parents, pupils and their teachers. These meetings usually will take place in October, February and July annually.

Targets are recorded on an Independent Education plan (IEP) or Early years support plan. We aim to make the targets SMART ( specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timed). Parents and carers are encouraged to support these targets at home.

The Pupil Achievement Leaders (PALs) in school monitor the progress and achievement of pupils with the SENDCo and class teachers every half-term.


What approach is taken to teaching children with SEN?

We use a variety of strategies and resources to support learning. We use a variety of I.T programs and applications to help consolidate skills. We take into account the different learning styles of each learner to help them progress through the curriculum (visual, auditory and kinaesthetic styles). Our creative curriculum provides an engaging and enjoyable learning experience for children. We are mindful that some children have self-esteem and resilience difficulties and we work on building up these areas so they can access the curriculum more successfully.

Mental health champions and the child and family wellbeing officer may offer bespoke intervention to a child struggling emotionally.

We offer repetition and rehearsal of concepts to children. These overlearning opportunities help support children with memory issues.


What specialist services and expertise are available to school?

There are many professionals and services available, including:

Educational Psychologist, specialist teachers, School nurse, ADHD nurse specialists, Speech and language therapists, Outreach language support, Occupational therapists and Physiotherapists, Portage and pre-school, Children and Young People’s services, Emotional resilience officers, Primary Mental Health workers, Healthy Minds Team, Ashley Child development Centre, Hearing Impaired team and Vision impaired team.


How are adaptions made to the curriculum and learning environment?

Some children may be supported in the classroom environment or in smaller intervention groups outside of the classroom. We have Learning Support Assistants and Teaching Assistants that run these intervention sessions.

We use a variety of visual aids and resources and follow the recommendations from different outside agencies to help support pupils. For example, sloped boards, pencil grips, coloured paper, posture cushions, fidget toys and positive behaviour charts.

We offer LEXIA to children with difficulties in Literacy phonics acquisition and have access to various support materials to help a child to learn to read with increasing confidence. We also use 123 maths to support basic skills.

Those children with more complex needs (a diagnosis, exceptional or profound needs) who have an Education and Healthcare plan have detailed provision in their plan specifying what should happen, where it should happen and who is responsible for that support.


What additional support is available to pupils with SEN?

Support staff are deployed by teachers and the SENDCo to support children with additional needs. Children that have very specific, complex needs may access some one to one inclusion support on a weekly basis. The SENDCo will apply to the Local Authority for Top Up funding, when school is providing more than 15 hours of additional support. A provision map of their support is shared with the Local Authority to detail the level and type of support a pupil requires.

Pupils with an Education and Healthcare plan have specified hours written into their plan and named staff provide their support.

The SENDCo regularly keeps parents and carers informed about SEN groups in the locality by sharing leaflets and posting information on the school website.

How accessible is school to children with SEND?

School is fully accessible and is on one level. Wheelchair access is possible. There is a disabled parking bay at the front entrance and there are two disabled toilets in school.There is an Induction Loop installed in the hall and in some classrooms.


What type of support is available to help improve my child’s emotional and social development?

There are four Mental Health Champions in school and all staff are caring and very aware of pupils’ emotional wellbeing. We work together to help children understand and regulate their emotional state through use of social stories. A consistent and fair approach is adopted with all children and  staff set high expectations.

Any concerns about a child’s social, emotional and mental wellbeing can be discussed with our SENDCo and Assistant Head of Wellbeing or with the Child and Family Wellbeing Officer and a plan of action can be shared.

We use outside agency support where needed with consent of parents/carers. We have access to The Emotional Resilience Team and also make referrals into The Healthy Minds Team, Lifecycle and Children and Young People’s services to support the social, emotional and mental health needs of pupils.

Lunchtime Nurture club in Key stage 1 and 2 supports children that can find lunchtime challenging.


What is the training and expertise of the staff supporting my child with SEND?

The SENDCo attends termly SEND network meetings. We have experienced and committed teaching and support staff that have worked with children with a wide range of needs. All staff at Westoe Crown are given the opportunity to develop their own professional skills with training sessions delivered by the Local Authority. All adults have training in child protection and abuse awareness. All teachers and support staff have training on Team Teach. All staff have training about blank levels with regards speech and language support. We also welcome trainers to Westoe Crown and work with all professionals to follow their recommendations. Health visitors, School Nursing service, Educational Psychologists, teacher for Hearing Impaired, Speech and Language therapists, Occupational therapists and Physiotherapists etc. all offer support where necessary for individual children.

The SENDCo participates in regular training in SEN reforms and has worked with Healthy Minds to gain further skills in supporting children with Social, emotional and mental health needs. The NASEN award for SENDCos involves specific training in many different areas of additional needs and these areas are revisited regularly when training is offered.

Teaching staff use the South Tyneside ‘Ranges’ documentation to help assess where a child is in terms of their achievements across the curriculum and within the four main areas: communication and interaction, cognition and learning, social emotional and mental health and physical and sensory needs. The Ranges are reviewed termly alongside the target review.

Pupils with medical needs

We have a policy ‘Pupils with medical needs’. Health professionals write medical needs care plans that school follow. A school nurse does referesher training annually on the use of epipens and inhalers. Support staff are trained to deliver first aid in the event of an emergency or accident.

How will additional equipment and facilities be secured for my child?

The SENDCo has access to funding to purchase equipment to help support pupil’s individual needs. These resources need to help the child to access a differentiated or modified curriculum and will be discussed with class teachers. Specialist equipment is provided to make classroom life easier. For example, a posture cushion, writing aids, sensory toys etc.


What are the arrangements for consulting with parents/carers of children with SEND? How are they involved?

Parents and carers will be invited to have a discussion with the class teacher and/or SENDCo and an open and honest approach is used to share any concerns. Parents are also encouraged to share their concerns and request support.

Every term, parents/carers are invited to attend a termly review meeting around the targets on a child’s Individual Education Plan (IEP) around Parent evenings in October, February and July. They are also invited to school to meet with other professionals involved with their child to discuss progress and attainment in the targeted areas.


How are other professionals involved to help meet the needs of the children with SEND?

Referrals can be made to outside professionals to help support communication and language needs, medical needs, cognition and learning needs and social and emotional wellbeing. These professionals will carry out assessments and make recommendations to school staff and parents/carers about intervention support that may support their child’s needs. The SENDCO will request consent from parents/carers before referrals are made to outside agencies.


Who do I contact in the Local Education Authority who can support me and my child?

Parents can contact the SENDIASS Service (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information, Advice and Support Service) for impartial information, advice and support in relation to their child’s SEN and/or disability.

Contact details: Phone – 0191 4246345

E-mail -sendiass@southtyneside.gov.uk


What is the Local Offer and where can I find it?

The Local Offer provides information for children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) and their parents or carers in a single place. The Local Offer has been produced jointly by South Tyneside Council, Social Care and Health Services in partnership with parents and carers.
It gives information on what services children, young people and their families can expect from a range of local agencies, including education,
health and social care.
The Local Offer provides information on a number of things, including:
* special educational provision (0-25 years)
* health provision
*social care provision
* other educational provision
*training provision
* travel arrangements for children and young people to schools,
colleges and early years education
* preparing for adulthood, including housing, employment and
leisure opportunities
More information about South Tyneside’s Local Offer for pupils with SEN can be found here.


What are the arrangements for supporting children and young people moving between phases of education and in preparing for adulthood?

We endeavour to involve all children in their own learning and encourage independence. Children are involved in target setting with their class teachers and are encouraged to reflect on their daily outcomes. Termly, children with SEND complete a pupil review giving them the opportunity to share what they feel their strengths and weaknesses are and how they think they can be best supported.

Children are also involved in transitional support between Early years and Key stage one and Key stage one into Key stage two and from Keys stage two into Secondary provision (Key stage three). The SENDCo arranges to be involved in Early Help meetings with Health visitors prior to children coming into Nursery with additional needs. The SENDCo makes visits to talk to pre-school nursery staff across the borough to find out about what works best for the individual.

Through each transitional stage, the staff all share information about the type and amount of support a child is receiving and share any specific information in terms of best strategies and resources to use in the environment.

Some children are given transition books that contain photographs and descriptions of their new environments to use during holiday periods to help them become more familiar with their new environment.

Parents are often invited into school to look carefully at the environment to consider whether the busy environment is best for their child’s needs. They are offered stay and play sessions in both Nursery and Reception classes. All children are offered an ‘All about me’ bag to complete throughout the Summer holiday to help support the transition into the next class in September. It gives the pupil some discussion points on return to school.

Children moving to other schools have their information carefully shared with the SENDCo from the receiving school. Those children moving to Year 7 are offered a transition programme from school staff and also sometimes the Emotional Resilience team. All needs are discussed with the SENDCo of the receiving school and documentation is shared. A pupil passport is shared with the new school detailing what strategies/resources work best for each child.

If a child has a one to one support assistant, they meet with any new staff and share relevant information with the new staff to ease the transition process.

Children with complex needs are given additional opportunities to visit their new  classroom environments in the Summer term prior to the holidays. Children suffering with anxiety are offered one to one bespoke intervention support to help them to overcome anxieties and learn emotional regulation. Class teachers meet to discuss the needs of all of the children in their class and the IEP targets set in July are shared with the receiving class teacher.

The Emotional resilience officer may work with year 6 children that have been identified by class teachers as needing additional help to transition onto a new school.


What are the arrangements for handling complaints?

We would hope to resolve any issues through discussion at an informal level with the class teacher and the SENDCO, and if needed to consult with other members of the Senior Management Team.
However, if parents/carers wished to pursue their concerns, they should access and follow the school’s Complaints Procedure.


The Ranges Documentation in South Tyneside

The Ranges document 2022

These documents give schools and teachers guidance and recommendations to support children with special educational and additional needs.

South Tyneside Parent Carer Forum is an independent forum led by parents, for parents and carers of children and young people aged 0-25 with additional support needs and disabilities in South Tyneside. They work in partnership with commissioners and service providers across health, social services and education. The aim of the Forum is to enable parents and carers to share their knowledge of what works and what doesn’t work so well; to help service providers and commissioners focus their efforts on effective, high quality support. They do this by ensuring that family voices are heard by service planners and decision makers.

They also aim to signpost parents to advice and information, to help them through their journey as carers of a disabled child or young person. You can find out more about the forum and what they do on their Facebook page. Follow them for updates on what they are doing in the local area to improve SEND services.


Please like and follow South Tyneside Local offer Facebook page to keep updated of future events.


In summary, we accept that parents and carers need to feel confident that the school has systems in place which make it possible for us to offer a flexible range of provision which is able to meet the individual needs of each and every one of our pupils. Parents will be listened to, involved in decisions and respected. When children have additional needs and advice from outside agencies is needed, parents will want to be fully informed and involved; and need to trust the school to respond to any need as quickly as possible.

By law, the Local Authority has to publish the arrangements for SEN, and further details are available in the Local Authority SEN Information Report.  All schools receive funding in their budget to allow them to provide for pupils with SEN, and have the freedom to make the necessary arrangements using existing staff; or look for advice and support from outside the school.


SEND Local Authority Information

Ordinarily Available Provision Launch

Summer 23 SEND update issue 6





Access to Ongoing Communication from  Government Ministers during the Covid-19 pandemic:

Letter from Vicky Ford March 2021